Saturday 23 July 2011

Mandy Mermaid and the Fluffy Contraction Bunnies...

Following my sports coaching session with Mark, I arrived at Saltfree eager to dive a few feet closer to the 100ft goal. However, on the boat over to the platform, I realised I wasn't entirely comfortable with the idea of no warm -up diving - I'd become rather attached to my usual routine of "fannying about at fifteen meters"!

In charge of the platform for the day was Mandy Mermaid. Mandy won the Mermaid Challenge, a competition run by Saltfree to discover new female freediving talent, and went on to set a UK record in dynamic! The most recent chapter of Mandy's freediving story is equally as inspiring. Last year Mandy developed Guillian-Barre Syndrome, a life threatening disorder in which the body's immune system attacks the nervous system, causing paralysis. After what she describes with characteristic understatement as "a bit of a struggle", her bravery (and her freedive training) helped her to beat Guillian-Barre. Back in her wetsuit, Mandy is not only excelling in competition, she also recently completed the Great North Swim to raise awareness of Guillian-Barre and fundraise for CLIC Sargent and the RNLI. To read more and donate, please click here :D.

I'd met Mandy once before and was really happy when she said that she liked the blog! I asked her for some advice. She summarised the theory behind no-warm up diving and explained that I might feel contractions earlier than usual with this approach. Seeing my grimace, she attempted to convince me that this was a good thing! "Contractions are actually helpful; it's your dive reflex kicking in!" she said. "Just imagine that they are happy fluffy contraction bunnies hopping around in your chest", she advised, before we both started giggling!

Fluffy bunny...



















Evil contraction bunny...

























As planned, I did stretching and breathing exercises on the platform and then went straight for 30m. The dive was fantastic! The first ten meters (my least favourite part of the dive) passed quickly and felt foscussed, I enjoyed a long glide and was almost surprised when I reached the plate. There were a couple of light contractions on the way up but I knew to expect them and they didn't bother me. I did have to try and stop myself thinking of the contraction bunnies and grinning inanely though! So it's 98.43 feet and counting, everyone :D.

Photo of the 98.43 ft (or 30m) freedive below, courtesy of Harry:










With the 100ft almost in sight, I've had a little time to sit back and reflect. When I first set out on the challenge, diving to 100ft seemed an almost impossible goal. Now it's within reach I realise that I've been so concerned with actually being able to complete the challenge, I haven't been spending as much time as I should raising awareness of Multiple Sclerosis and the reasons why fundraising for the MS Society is so important.

I'd like to share the stories of two women with you; Genie and Collette. Genie is my aunt and godmother, and Collette is a poet, who I have never met. They have a lot in common; both have chosen to explore their experience of MS creatively, Collette through poetry and Genie through music. Both are positive and inspiring people. I hope that the story of each will go some way to explaining how deeply MS affects your life and how important it is that research continues to find a cure.









Genie
Genie is my aunt, who developed MS aged 24. She teaches jazz and classical piano, makes music and runs Stream Records, a label for disabled musicians.






It took 5 or 6 years before my MS was diagnosed, and I was quite relieved in the end. It was like having a golfball in the back of my head. I thought I was going insane! MS affects people in different ways. It affects my balance and my senses. I don't use a wheelchair, but it's obvious something is wrong with me. The doctors said things like, "well you're going to have to learn to live with this". It's not easy, but music helped. I started to write songs to express what I was feeling. I came across a disability magazine that was advertising for musicians and put together a band called 'Fish Out Of Water'. We got loads of gigs, became involved with Disability Arts, and I got funding. It was great. And I was a working musician! But the mainstream music industry doesn't want to know about disabled musicians. That's why I started to get their music out there. Some people suggested that I should register as a charity, but why does disability always have to be about 'charity'? I want to engage with the world on its own terms.Sadly disabled musicians don't break into the mainstream very often. But you can't give up. You have to make the world take notice.








Collette
Collette has a particularly aggressive form of MS. This article tells her story and in the accompanying video she reads from her collection of poems, 'Party Girl', before MS left her unable to speak or write. I've posted one of her poems below.

Scared
When I'm around
Others
Who have MS
It frightens the shit out of me
All these poems are saying just one thing
I'm scared of getting worse.



Please donate a few pounds (or more, if you like!) to the MS Society, to enable their amazing work to continue :).

2 comments:

  1. Hi Grace, I just want to say hello to you after a few weeks. I am happy that you do so well and that you truly like what you do, even including the tricky fluffy bunnies :-) My greetings and admiration to Genie who surely is wonderful and strong personality. I constantly like your writing and look forward to new refreshing views on the enchanting world of freediving. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amamarf - thank *you* for reading! People are usually so shy about commenting. It's been great to have had you following my freediving journey from the beginning - I really appreciate your support :). How's your own training going? Grace

    ReplyDelete