Friday 6 May 2011

Introduction to Freediving (and Rock and Roll) Part II...

You freedivers are a truly international bunch! So far the blog has had hits from the UK, USA, Czech Republic, Netherlands, Greece, Australia, NZ, Spain, France, Canada, Sweden, Mexico, Romania, South Africa, Cyprus, Russia... Don't be shy, say "hi" in the comments box! I'd love to learn about your freediving experiences and read your suggestions for training.

I waited impatiently all week for Thursday and the second part of my Introduction to Freediving course with Mark Harris at London Freediving. Needless to say, it was brilliant! The focus this week was on dynamic apnea, which is basically distance swimming underwater in a pool. I'll let the World Record holder Dave Mullins show you how it's done:





And not forgetting the awesome Brits Dave King and Liv Philip.

The first thought likely to occur to the non-freediver is: "what on earth is he wearing on his feet?". It's a monofin; usually made of fibreglass, it's extremely efficient and can be used for depth as well as pool disciplines. Since monofin technique takes a lot of practice and specific training, we concentrated on improving our bi-fin technique. Bi-fins are like a longer version of a SCUBA diving fin, with a moulded foot pocket to ensure efficient transfer of energy from the muscles to the fin. It's also possible to do dynamic without fins, using a modified underwater breaststroke (see Liv's performance).

Having dealt with the differences between the various types of dynamic apnea, we moved on to discuss correct alignment in the water. This is extremely important, since good alignment minimises drag...meaning less energy is expended and less oxygen used. Correct alignment is achieved through good technique and through the use of weights on either the neck, the hips or both. Mark explained that a weight around the neck offsets the buoyancy of the upper body caused by the full lungs and other air spaces, creating a horizontal profile in the water. As with static apnea, a proper breathe-up and the conscious relaxation of the muscles not in use is also crucial to dynamic performances.

As usual, safety was a priority and we discussed a number of possible buddying systems for dynamic apnea before heading to the pool for our first try...

The emphasis was on technique rather than performance, so we were limited to one length of the 33m pool. Mark buddied both Marcin and I so that he could assess our technique. I was really pleased when he said that mine was pretty good for a beginner! It's a mysterious thing, "aquacity". It's constantly referred to by the 'Manual of Freediving' as being important for freediving. Pardon the comparison but it strikes me that the quality of "aquacity" is rather like that of being "good in bed"; impossible to define and difficult to evaluate yourself!

To improve, Mark advised that I should ensure the amplitude of my downward fin stroke was the same as my upward fin stroke. I also needed to pull my belly button into my spine (using all the muscles that were punished in my pilates class) to make sure that my lower back didn't arch quite so much. Having got a good look at my bi-fin technique, Mark said that he thought the monofin would suit me too. I'm keen to start using one as soon as possible becuase it takes a long time to learn how to use one properly...and I only have until October! I'm planning on training using bi-fins, monofin and no fins and selecting one to concentrate on as my training progresses.

Then it was off into the deep end of the pool to practice rescuing Mark from the bottom! The techniques for rescue in deeper water are more complex but Mark broke them down into manageable stages demonstrating on Marcin at the surface and then rescuing me from the bottom where I lay pretending to have blacked out. Mark emphasised that it is the responsibility of every freediver to make sure they're a competent buddy and recommended we regularly practice our rescue skills. Just as when I did my SCUBA Rescue Diver course, I now feel much more happy and confident knowing I can trust myself to be responsible for myself and my buddy.

With a couple of minutes left before we had to get out of the pool Marcin and I really wanted to try dynamic without fins. Mark demonstrated for us first and then after a short breathe-up Marcin and I had a go. I really like the feeling of freedom you get without fins and just enjoyed gliding, relaxing, and feeling the water rush past...before being pulled abruptly out of my reverie by almost banging my head on the end of the pool!

A fantastic end to the course, which has transformed me from an apprehensive newbie into a beginner freediver confident that I have the tools I need to train and improve. I have so much to learn, but it's great to know that I can take my questions to someone as knowledgeable and encouraging as Mark. Both Marcin and I signed up for next week's training session mere hours after finishing our course, which should tell you how much we enjoyed it! I'm looking forward to meeting some of the other freedivers at the club. :D

I'm now raring to get to Chepstow and start my AIDA** with Saltfree. Luckily I have the theory element of the course and my first training session with London Freediving to keep me occupied until next weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Grace

    Assuming that like most other Brit females your feet are something around a size 6, there is a monofin waiting with Hannah for you to borrow for a while. We can't let you use it on the course next weekend (Beginners have to learn in bi fins!) but you're more than welcome to have it for the summer if you like. She also has a suit of mine for you to try.....

    Neither are top of the range but both are fine to get you started. Glad it's going so well so far.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sam,

    Yes please, I'd love to borrow your monofin! Thank you very much :). Thanks also for leaving a wetsuit with Hannah for me for the course, my old wetsuit seems to be a teesy weensy bit too small at the moment.


    I've asked Hannah if I can book a room her cottage for this weekend, since it looks lovely and she's promised I can ask her as many freediving questions as I like!

    Not long now, and I've managed to find two pool training sessions this week to keep me occupied until Saturday!

    Grace

    ReplyDelete