Wednesday 13 April 2011

The 100 ft Freedive Challenge Begins!

A couple of days ago the 100 ft Freedive Challenge was just one of those amazing ideas that strike after one too many glasses of wine but promptly depart your brain once the hangover has faded. Thanks mostly to Sam Kirby at SaltFree Divers, it's become official and I have a blog and fundraising page to prove it! Since the euphoric high of putting a plan into action has now worn off, I have decided to make a level-headed assessment of the challenge ahead.
Potential Obstacles include, but are not limited to, the following:

  1. Having spent the winter replenishing my fat stores, I am currently more "walrus" than "mermaid".

  2. I only stopped smoking earlier this afternoon.

  3. My Mum, whose own experience of MS is the reason I set myself this challenge, is so convinced that I will end up in a watery grave that she's forbidden me from talking to her about it. Ever.

  4. I'm scared. 100ft is a long way down...

Enough of that. Now for the Motivating Factors:



  1. I get to train with SaltFree, learn lots about freediving and hopefully dispel some of the myths about it, e.g. it's really really dangerous (see point 3. above).

  2. Raising lots of money for the MS Society, whose work I wholeheartedly support.

  3. Having something non-law related to talk/think/stress about.

If you'd like to follow my progress, this blog should keep you interested and amused in the run-up to the challenge, which will take place in October. I'll post diary entries, photographs, videos and much more!


I also hope that I can convince you to make a donation to this very worthy cause. No, not the comedy sight of me in a wetsuit - the MS Society! Please donate here: www.justgiving.com/Grace-Capel


For those of you who don't know what freediving is, here's a video that will give you some idea. Obviously it hasn't been filmed on a single dive, but the reason I like it is that it's beautiful and gives a real sense of the feeling of freedom you get.





6 comments:

  1. Hi Gracie,

    I'll be your instructor in May and I'm SO looking forward to it. This is a great cause and we'll be proud to have you join us at Saltfree. Don't be scared! And let Mum know that your safety is the most important thing to me.

    My Mum felt the same way when I started freediving but over time, the more she learned about it, the less afraid for me she became. She came to realise, like I did, that it can be a very safe sport if you follow some very important rules.

    Really looking forward to meeting you in May and if you have any questions, feel free to contact me on Facebook. You'll find me in the Saltfree group.

    Hannah Thurston-McGowan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and to give perspective in depth - this is what 100ft looks like in depth... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V36dxr6AN8w

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hannah, lovely to hear from you. I'm so excited about attending the course in May!

    Brilliant idea to post the youtube video, you get a much better sense of how deep 30m actually is.

    I have loads of questions, so I'll come and find you on Facebook.

    I'm also hoping you might agree to do a short interview for the blog? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gracie...
    I'm a regular at Saltfree, and i think your challenge is brilliant!

    Who know's, you might even enjoy freediving enough to take it up!!

    Happy to share any advice or help in any way... Look forward to meeting you in the green!!
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mandy!

    I'm so relieved that the UK freedivers are such a friendly bunch. Glad you like the challenge and I look forward to meeting you at Chepstow soon! At the moment I'm trying to focus on general fitness and starting to do some dry statics, so advice in relation to those points, either via the blog or by email would be much appreciated :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Grace Love
    Dad here. Thanks for letting me know where the link was on the page to make a comment (Duh! at the bottom) Us silver surfers need a little help now and then. Mum is still worried but coming around to the idea that you will not expire and that there will be safety buddies around and experts. Liked the idea of trying the mono fin you showed me but dont think the old carcass is up to it. The progress you have made in such a short time is fantastic - mind over matter - a clear example. Saw the video of that world record holder (the airline pilot) - dont even think about it Grace I have no hair left as it is. Hope this weekend to the NDAC was successful. have looked up the wigwams and they look great. Love
    Dad XXXX - To infinity and beyond!!!! (30 metres max you hear me!)

    ReplyDelete