Tuesday 26 April 2011

Any Questions for Dr. Diving?

It turns out that I need a freediving medical before I start my AIDA** with Saltfree in Chepstow in May. The problem? Panic attacks. Probably not what you want to experience 100ft underwater with no readily available supply of air.

Strangely, it didn't really cross my mind that previously having experienced panic attacks (for around 2 years) would be a problem for freediving! In fact, the panic attacks were related to exactly the kind of "life" stress that many people use freediving to escape from. I'd only just stop short of prescribing freediving as a treatment for these kind of panic attacks ;). Being in the water is where I feel elated, free and peaceful, not panicked! I was snorkeling with my Dad on family holidays to Greece pretty much as soon as I could swim; my sister and I would have to be coaxed out of the sea at the end of the day. I started SCUBA diving when I was 14. I've never had even the hint of a panic attack underwater, despite having experienced some disorienting and stressful situations.

However, the necessity of a freediving medical means that I now have an invite to a place I've long wanted to visit...the London Diving Chamber.

The London Diving Chamber is a hyperbaric medical facility located within the Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth in North London. It provides expert treatment of Decompression Illness (DCI) and Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapies (HBOT). DCI is a general term that can be broken down into the two broad categories of Decompression Sickness (DCS, colloquially known as "the bends") and Lung Overexpansion Injuries.

Although it is reportedly possible to suffer DCS after freediving, it requires either very many freedives in a short period of time, or freediving to great depth, as in no-limits. Studies carried out on pearl divers in Polynesia, who were diving to depths of 30m+ forty to fifty times a day with short surface intervals, concluded that some suffered from symptoms of DCS. In relation to no-limits, you'll notice that in the video I posted of Herbert Nitsch's freedive to 214m, he makes a 1 minute decompression stop at 10m on ascent to avoid DCS. Generally speaking, recreational freedivers do not experience DCS.

Certainly, the vast majority of those presenting at the London Diving Chamber with DCS are SCUBA divers. As SCUBA diving becomes more and more popular, free hyperbaric treatment and medical advice such as that provided by LDC becomes increasingly important. Even when patients do not qualify for free NHS treatment, LDC will never turn away a diver in need - that's incredible. Click here to support their work. For more information about DCS, take a look at the information pages on LDC's website.


Dr Firth at the London Diving Chamber has been kind enough to waive the fee for my freediving medical in support of the 100ft Freedive Challenge! I'm really looking forward to meeting him and to learning more about LDC's work. If you have a burning question about freediving that you'd like to put to Dr Firth, put it in the comments box below. I'll try and ask him a few questions and will post the answers here on the blog :).

I'm going to be asking Dr. Firth about the effectiveness of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy for Multiple Sclerosis. Although the MS Society and MS Trust both state that clinical trials have failed to find any evidence that HBOT is effective, I know that there have been a number of reports that it can help treat some of the symptoms of MS.


I'm also going to be asking what physiological changes, if any, I can expect during my transformation into a mermaid ;), and whether there is any way for me to measure them and share with the group! TMI?

I start my Introduction to Freediving course with Mark Harris on Thursday, so watch out for a post about this later in the week...

5 comments:

  1. Dear Gracie,
    I have just ticked the choice “challenging but achievable” in your pool. I am a recreational freediver, the less talented the more hooked, with my deepest dive to 20 m so far (about 65 feet), thus I feel personally addressed with the statement :-) Hopefully I will be able to achieve 100 feet soon as well. However, more important than depth is the joy of being underwater. I like your determination as well as your brilliant blog entries. I wish you luck. Keep going and enjoy the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amamarf!
    Thank you for your good wishes, it’s lovely to hear the experiences of those who are further along in their freediving journey :).

    I set the 100ft goal on the advice of a couple of experienced freedivers, who had some information about my initial static times. However, I completely agree with you - it’s all about the joy of the experience rather than the arbitrary goal of a certain depth.

    My (very limited) training so far has been focused on relaxing the mind and the body during dry statics. As you’ll have read, I have my first pool session tomorrow (yay!).

    I’d be really interested to learn what relaxation techniques you find most useful during statics. Are you located in the UK or somewhere a little warmer? Glad you’re enjoying the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately I am based in the Czech Republic which implies the opportunity to dive in sea only for one or two weeks a year. My longest wet static so far was 4:30 during a course – I didn’t believe that it was possible for ordinary mortal before, but with enough time and peace for preparation and concentration it was surprisingly easy going. IMHO your “singing concentration technique” appears to be very good. In my opinion there is very important the utterly positive thinking which helps to eliminate or at least postpone the reflexive feeling of self-destructive behavior – i.e. one should rather keep in mind the idea that everything is wonderful and enjoy each present moment (contractions are normal and useful because they help to reduce oxygen consumption), than the idea that it is not so bad for now but harder times are coming.
    BTW the static tables are very useful, but very time consuming in everyday life. Therefore I mostly practice two less time demanding dry exercises – repetitive static one minute breath holds with only one exhalation/inhalation between (six times or more), or dynamic variation when walking (only one exhalation/inhalation after each six or more double steps). Both of them seam to be useful for training of CO2 tolerance.
    So much for today :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amamarf, nice post.

    I agree that there are more challenging, and time 'saving' ways of training. But when everything is new one cannot omit investing time to discover and build those skills. Hence a gradual 'slow' start is better.

    Taking note of what you learned will show how much one actually learns, quite a lot in my humble opinion :)

    Kars

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kars! You're reading the blog :D. I'm just leaving work for my first pool session...

    Amamarph, Kars is a great person to ask if you have any freediving questions, he's experienced and very helpful :).

    Post later!

    ReplyDelete