Friday 15 April 2011

In which I connect singing and freediving, and dream of whales


The blog has had 262 page views since I set it up yesterday! It's incredible to have so many people interested in the challenge :). I'd love to hear what you think about it, so comments in the box below please!

I sent Sam the link to the blog last night and she said it was "fab". I think she might have been more worried than she let on about my lack of general fitness, but she managed to keep the rising panic out of her voice as we agreed that it might be a good idea to work on my aerobic capacity and flexibility before my AIDA** course in May.

She also recommended that I might like to take up Yoga. I've only ever had one experience of Yoga, and it involved trying not to snort with laughter when I was told to imagine balls of light in each of my "chakra regions". However, one of the current female stars of freediving, Sara Campbell, was a yoga teacher before she took up freediving and she credits some of her success to the breathing techniques and focus of mind involved. Frankly, if it's good enough for her, I'm signing up sharpish.

Sam and I also talked about the various ways in which I could complete the challenge: "constant weight" and "free immersion". A quick search of AIDA's website revealed that there are eights distinct freediving disciplines:


Constant Weight Without Fins (CNF) Freediver descends and ascends without fins and without pulling on a rope - so using muscle power alone.


Constant Weight With Fins (CWT) Freediver descends and ascends using only fins/monofin and the use of her arms, without changing her ballast. Only one grab of the rope is permitted, to halt descent.


Dynamic Without Fins (DNF) Freediver attempts to cover greatest distance possible swimming in a horizontal position. Propulsion aids are not permitted.


Dynamic With Fins (DYN) Freediver attempts to cover greatest distance possible swimming in a horizontal position. Fins/monofin are permitted.


Static (STA) Freediver holds her breath for as long as possible, with respiratory tracts submerged, either in the water or at the surface.


Free Immersion (FIM) Freediver descends by pulling on the rope only. No propulsion aids are permitted. Variable Weight (VWT) Freediver descends using a ballast and ascends using his own strength, either pulling or not pulling on the rope.


No Limits (NL) Freediver descends using a weighted sled, and ascends using a helium-filled balloon or any other method of their choice. This is the one that most frequently grabs the headlines, as you can imagine!


Since pulling on a rope never featured in my mermaid fantasies, my current preference is for constant weight. However, since I haven't yet tried either, I'm keeping an open mind.


Thinking that I'd better start getting some practice in, I sat on the end of my bed late last night and held my breath...


1 minute 30 seconds later, heart pounding, I took a big gasp of air. I felt utterly humiliated. This was never going to work! I was obviously crap and should never have gotten myself into this whole challenge, let alone allowed anyone to read about it on the internet.


Then I had what I believe they call a "lightbulb moment". If what was going on in my mind was pressure, anxiety and self-sabotage, of course I was going to be rubbish! I decided to try again, and do it differently this time. I turned off the light, lay on the bed and took some deep breaths. Since I sang in a choir for 3 years, I'm happily acquainted with my diaphragm, and with diaphragmmatic breathing. I focussed on taking slow, full breaths as though I were about to launch into the opening of Handel's "Zadok the Priest" (when the choir comes in at 1:21, it's big. And loud). When it felt natural I began holding my breath. To relax and focus my mind I imagined singing "Sleep" by Eric Whitacre, one of my favourite pieces of music. The urge to breathe surfaced a couple of times but swallowing seemed to dispel it. I got to "when I surrender unto sleep" before I noticed a strong urge to breathe.


I took a breath and looked at my stopwatch. 2 minutes 42 seconds. Maybe I could do this after all! I drifted off into a peaceful sleep, and dreamt of whales...



No comments:

Post a Comment